The Anzac Bridge, completed in 1995, is the western gateway to Sydney’s central business district. The light and elegant structure is one of the longest concrete cable-stayed span bridges in the world. It was designed to provide clearance for tall ships, safe road gradients and connect easily with the Western Distributor and City West Link.
The bridge across Johnstons Bay is the third to link Glebe Island to Pyrmont. Blackbutts Bridge was the first, from 1857 providing access to the city from Glebe Island abattoirs. The second, the four lane swing span Glebe Island Bridge, in 1903, was one of the first electrically operated opening bridges in the world.
Known first as the Glebe Island Bridge, the present structure was renamed the Anzac Bridge on Remembrance Day, 1998. An Australian flag tops the eastern tower and a New Zealand flag the western. A statue of an Australian First World War digger was unveiled on Anzac Day, 2000: a New Zealand digger arrived in 2008.
Alison Seccombe, 2016